Saturday, October 8, 2011

weighty issues


Ok. So I know that kids are supposed to be cute and chunky and that they eventually work it off...BUT is there a limit? So we were at a friends house for dinner and we thought it would be fun to weigh Norah to see how big she was compared to my friends kids. She weigh 32 lbs!!! That was 5 lbs. more than her 2 1/2 year old and only 2 lbs. less than her almost 4 year old! I looked this up on a growth chart and she is 60% for height and well over 100% for weight...maybe even 110%. Ah! Does Norah have a problem? Should I be concerned? Should I do something? And if so, what? I've thought about limiting her milk intake or maybe watering down her whole milk but I don't know. Help.
On the other hand, I am a professional worry-wart and tend to over-dramatize situations, so maybe I just need to chill out and see what happens.
Thoughts???

3 comments:

Julie Fielding said...

You know I'm not exactly non-biased on this issue, but I think Norah is perfect in every "weigh." You give her healthy foods and she's very active. She eats and refuses food appropriately and I've never once seen her "pig out." Moderation in all things and she will be just fine! Love you!

That One Girl said...

All kids are so different, but the ones that are "heavier" than the others usually even out eventually. Obviously it's good to feed kids healthy foods as much as you can, if only to introduce them and help them create and continue healthy patterns in their life. I'm not sure how old she is, but at least for the first 2-3 years they really need that extra fat in their milk for their brain development. It's pretty essential. They also recommend making sure you don't try and make a kid quiet with food (like if they're crying or throwing a fit), to help ensure they don't eventually emotionally eat later on. I probably wouldn't worry too much, but if you are, you can always ask her Dr. :) Good luck!

Ruth Emmett said...

First of all......WOW, you blogged!!:) Second of all DON"T WORRY about it. There are a million things us mommy's could worry about. Weston really isn't talking much at all....still, and I worry and compare him to other kids, but worrying just makes you crazy. She will be fine and even out, it's not like you are feeding her french fries for every meal, and she is active. No biggie.